Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Looking into my future...

My second blog post today, a more personal note...

The last 2 weeks I have been thinking of my studies and a later job. Off course, like everyone I would like to make good money and have a the home I wanted, prefferably with a pool.

But these last 2 weeks I have been working on stuff for school, and I've noticed something...
Programming for something I like to do (hobby projects) goes very good, but assignments... Lets say that isn't going so good.

I just can't picture myself anymore, working in a game studio, being a code monkey... Getting handed a lot of paper and the words: these classes should be ready before the next milestone. I just can't do that I think...

Working on hobby projects is easy... Writting down how the game should look, working on the code and some placeholder models. But I when someone says: "This is what you are going to do"... I don't know where to begin, if it will be what is wanted, ... And imagining doing that from 9 to 5 (IF I get that lucky), 5 days a week, 4 weeks a month, 12 months a year... I just don't see the fun in that anymore.

I'm considering letting go of my studies and going into the family business. Doing manual labour for 2 - 3 years, office work for 2 - 3 years, and then I'm at the top with experience from all the people that are hired in the compagny. Because it's a family business, the money won't be bad... So thats another plus.

I'm very confused, don't know what to do...
But I have decided that first, I'm going to finish my freelance projects, go to at least 3 more weeks of school and hope I'll find an answer to my questions.


Off course, while working, I'm planning to maintain my 2 hobbies: Gaming and programming on a very small scale (small games and software tools). However, with a girlfriend that doesn't get what attracts me in games, I think that would also be a tough thing to do...


Time will tell, ... time will tell.

No comments: